Sunday, September 6, 2015

Exercise 2 Page 50 (9/8/2015)

Cat's Cradle Essay- Senior Year-

Text #1:
The bokononist religion contradicts typical religious beliefs. The first page of the Books of Bokonon is this: “All of the true things I am about to tell you are shameless lies” (Vonnegut 5). This proves the irony because all of the characters are blindly following the random ideas created by a “nobody,” despite the fact that religion is typically considered the highest, most important power in one’s life.

Analysis:
In my essay, I quoted the first page of Cat's Cradle. I explained why I thought this quote is significant in order to accurately describe a theme throughout the novel.


Text #2:
At this time, he said, "God is running my life and He has work for me to do." This is significant because John accepted a responsibility that no one in San Lorenzo wants because his "religious beliefs" made him. However, John was not a bokonist until shortly after becoming president, therefore being an atheist during the time he was sworn in. Vonnegut wryly talks about how John, the man saving San Lorenzo from collapsing is motivated by an erroneous religion that he does not even believe in. Bokonism also impels John to think differently.

Analysis:
Also from my in class essay, I used a second quote directly from Cat's Cradle. In my essay I described why this quote is significant in order to explain the theme that the irony of the bokononist religion itself preaches that salvation is built on lies.

No comments:

Post a Comment